Gustav Friedrich Hetsch
1788 Stuttgart – Copenhagen 1864

German architect and draughtsman

He was the son of the famous Stuttgart painter Philipp Friedrich Hetsch (1758-1838) of the classicism period. Firts he studied mathematics in Tübingen, but later he changed to architecture. In 1808 he made - together with his father - a study trip to Paris. There he became the leading architect for the restoration of Ste. Geneviève (Pantheon).

In 1812 he went back to Stuttgart, then he moved to Rome, where he met the Danish architect Peder Malling (1781-1865) and got in contact with the artists Bertel Thorvaldsen (1770-1844), Christoffer Wilhelm Eckersberg (1783-1853) and their surroundings. With Malling he went to Denmark in October 1815, where he became a teacher at a school of architecture. He had close contacts to Christian Frederik Hansen (1756-1845), the most famous Danish architect of that time.

In 1820 Hetsch he became member of the academy of arts and in 1822 he was appointed professor for perspective. From 1828 to 1857 he was director of the Royal porcelain factory. His most important buildings in Copenhagen are: The synagogue in the Krystalgade (1833) and the Catholic church in the Bredgade (1842).